The island situated south of Bolshoy Korabelny fairway is low, wooded and mainly sand.
There is an opinion that the name of the island has a Finnish origin and means "Island of Seven Rocks" (Finnish Seitsen ('seven') and Kari ('rock', 'reef')). There is another opinion that this name means "Sea Island" (Swedish Sjo ('sea') and Skar ('rocky islet').
The eastern coast of the island is slightly indented and edged with a wide beach with dunes. The western shore is very indented and edged for 2.5 miles north-westward and westward with a rocky shoal with water depth less than 5 m and plenty of scattered rock (both below and above the water surface). The shoal is buoyed.
At the north-western extremity of the island there is a pier in a good condition, with length 500 m and crest width 3 m, and a berth located at the pier head. The berth is completely destroyed by ice and storms. At present the pier is inapproachable because of piled-up rock (see Fig. 8.14 and 8.15).
Seskar lighthouse and the lighthouse station are located in the north-west of the island, the coast-guard station, 1 km south of them.
There is a helipad in the area of the lighthouse station. The island has an old abandoned airdrome.
Seskar Lighthouse is the only historical monument on Seskar Island. It is known that the lighthouse was already in operation at the time of the Swedish reign (before 1700) and passed to Russia under the Nistadt Peace Treaty in a tumbledown condition.
The lighthouse was rebuilt and moved more than once (in 1725, 1727, 1755, 1807 and 1854), but only at the end of 1856, after the Crimea War the Hydrographic Department placed an order with the English manufacturer Grissel for an artillery cast-iron tower for Seskar Lighthouse. In 1857 the same manufacture was commissioned to fabricate the lamp and Frenel catoptric device.
The cast-iron tower and lighthouse equipment were delivered to the island on 19 July 1858 and, after assembly on 23 September, the lighthouse was lighted.
All operations were carried out by English staff under the manufacturer's supervision.
The new 30 m tower became the first cast-iron tower installed in the Russian seas.
The lighthouse was reconstructed and retrofitted at regular intervals (the last time in 1976-1977), however, the cast-iron tower which is in a satisfactory condition has been successfully used up to the present day.
Seskar Island virtually has no engineering infrastructure. Self-contained power supply is provided by diesel generators. There are small stores of lubricants and fuels.
Construction of a yacht port is theoretically possible only on the eastern coast of the island.
Just as with Moschny Island, Seskar Island location in immediate proximity to the main cruising route in the eastern Gulf of Finland makes the island a suitable place for a yacht shelter which may be also used as a yacht terminal for short-term anchorage of yachts visiting the island for sight-seeing (excursions to unique Seskar Lighthouse).
However, construction of a yacht shelter on the island without any natural bays or suitable existing waterworks is rather problematical.
The only potential option is construction of a small well-protected harbour on the eastern side of the island.
In order to create a protected harbour in the area with natural water depth 3.5 m one must build a cross-shore sloped-type mole more than 300 m long. The total cost of construction (mole and hydraulic works of the harbour) will amount to approximately USD 1 million. With a berthing face of about 70 running meters the harbour will be able to simultaneously accommodate up to 15 yachts.
This project is funded by the EUROPEAN UNION.The European Union numbers 15 Member States: 15 different nations determined to shape their future closely together. Over a period of enlargement of 40 years, they have, together, built a zone of pease, stability, progress and solidarity. The European Union is a model for overcoming conflict and promoting reconciliation through close co-operation to achieve common goats, while respecting national sovereignty and territorial integrity. But the EU is not focused on itself its ambition is to share its achievements and its values with countries and peoples beyond its borders.The European Commissilon to the EU`s executive body.
|This project is funded by the European Union
Delegation of the European Commission in Russia Kadashevskaya nab., 14/1 109017 Moscow, Russia Tel: +7 095 721 20 10 Fax: +7 095 721 20 18
|The project mnplementedby the contractor
Kingisepp municipalityKarl Marx pr., 2a188480 KingiseppLeningrad regionRussiaTel: +7 81375 22 373Fax:+7 81375 23 239