The present name of the island originates from Swedish words Hog ('high', 'elevated') and Land ('land'), its old Finnish name was Suurskari.
This is the largest (length 11 km, width up to 2.5 km, area about 27 sq. km) and the most interesting island in the eastern Gulf of Finland. It is composed of granite covered by a thin soil layer. The island is high and hilly (the southern hill is 175 m high) and covered by various vegetation, mainly coniferous woods in the north.
The island has many small bays and inlets. The largest and the most suitable for a yacht port is the Suurkylдn-Lahti Bay. The second potentially interesting location is the Limonnikova Bay which can be used for a yacht shelter.
The Suurkylan-Lahti Bay accessible for ships with draft up to 4 m is situated on the eastern side of the island 1.3 miles south-east of Cape Severny. The bay is protected on the north-east side by a mole jutting out south-eastward from the northern beach. The bay entrance is located between the mole end and the southern entrance cape and is about 90 m wide. There is small Vдhдhelli Island situated in front of the bay, 1.3 cables east of the southern entrance cape.
Water depth at the bay entrance and in its central part is about 5 m, the seabed is composed of fine sand. The shore is low and sandy.
There are two piers built on the northern side of the bay. The eastern pier is 30 m long, the western one, 50 m long, with alongside water depth 2-4 m. The both piers are tumbledown.
The bay can serve as a good shelter as it is protected virtually from all winds except for the east ones.
There is a helipad at a 200 m distance from the bay. Earth roads connect the bay with a coast-guard station and Severny Gogland Lighthouse, and with Yuzhny Gogland Lighthouse in the south of the island.
The deepwater Limonnikova Bay is situated on the western side of Gogland Island 3.6 miles south of Cape Severny. The shore is high, cliffed, and edged with a rocky shoal.
Water depth in the central part of the bay is 16-17 m.
The bay is open for west winds and can be used as a shelter ether from winds from any other directions, or if its open side is protected with artificial structures.
The island is virtually uninhabited. The only exception is a small coast-guard station (without any floating craft or vehicles) and families of the chief hydrometeorologist and lighthouse keepers.
The engineering infrastructure is virtually missing. Self-contained power supply is provided by diesel generators. There are small stores of lubricants and fuels.
Yuzhny Gogland Lighthouse is undoubtedly the first place of interest on Gogland Island. The first lighthouse built at the southern extremity of the island in 1861 was equipped with a Frenel optical system manufactured in Paris.
The lighthouse was reconstructed and rebuilt more than once. In 1905 a new circular brick tower about 22 m high was built. That year was essentially the birth year of the present lighthouse. The last modernisation was carried out in the 1960s (see Fig. 8.6 - 8.8).
The second place of interest is connected with the fact that in 1900 the famous Russian scientist L.S. Popov, the inventor of the radio communication system ("wireless telegraph") carried out the first in the world radio communication session from Gogland Island during rescue of the Russian battleship "General-Admiral Apraksin" cast aground in the Gulf of Finland. Robust radio communication between Gogland and Kotka islands (over a distance 50 km) was maintained during the whole rescue operation (February to April 1900). In the south of Gogland Island there is an obelisk in honour of this event.
Gogland Island has the best prospects for construction of a yacht port.
Because of its inherent advantages the Suurkyldn-Lahti Bay may be recommended for construction of an international yacht port.
Detail plot plan of the yacht port able to accommodate and service up 100 yachts with length up to 20 m in the summer navigation season. Its consists of the following:
In order to completely close the harbour one must build an eastern mole appr. 80 m long with alongside water depth up to 6 m. No dredging is required.
Harbour water-area is about 6 ha, land area, about 3 ha.
All shore facilities that do not require a direct access to the sea are located at least at 50 m distance from the shoreline.
An artesian well and a local water treatment plant (used also for treatment of sanitary sewage and bilge water collected from ships) are situated outside the port area.
Taking into account the specific nature of the project, it will be necessary to build a cottage camp for operating personnel (10 cottages, camp area 1.2 ha) and provide the port with a multipurpose sea-going support vessel with the minimum displacement 100 tons.
Estimated cost of the international yacht port construction on Gogland Island can be USD 10-20 million and must be determined at the design stage taking into account the "insular" nature of the project and standards of supplied equipment.
The deep-water Limonnikova Bay (water area of about 16 ha) is suitable for a modern yacht port for 100 to 150 yachts, however, its openness to prevailing south-west and west winds requires construction of protective structures (moles).
The plot plan shows alternative yacht port locations in the Limonnikova Bay.
Alternative 1 the yacht port occupies the whole bay basin (similarly to the Suurkylдn-Lahti Bay, see above)
Alternatives 2 and 3 only a yacht shelter is built either in the apex of the bay or near Cape Lettoniemi.
Alternative 1 which requires construction of protective moles with the total length of about 400 m and the water depth 25 m is very expensive and difficult for implementation. In this connection it was left out of consideration as unrealistic yacht port alternative.
Construction of a yacht shelter in accordance with either alternative seems to be quite feasible and expedient.
Alternative 2 envisages use of pier-type berthing facilities, Alternative 3, use of a small protective mole with floating berths (pontoons) for yachts.
Regardless of the yacht shelter alternative adopted for further consideration and design, the basic infrastructure of the yacht shelter will include:
This project is funded by the EUROPEAN UNION.The European Union numbers 15 Member States: 15 different nations determined to shape their future closely together. Over a period of enlargement of 40 years, they have, together, built a zone of pease, stability, progress and solidarity. The European Union is a model for overcoming conflict and promoting reconciliation through close co-operation to achieve common goats, while respecting national sovereignty and territorial integrity. But the EU is not focused on itself its ambition is to share its achievements and its values with countries and peoples beyond its borders.The European Commissilon to the EU`s executive body.
|This project is funded by the European Union
Delegation of the European Commission in Russia Kadashevskaya nab., 14/1 109017 Moscow, Russia Tel: +7 095 721 20 10 Fax: +7 095 721 20 18
|The project mnplementedby the contractor
Kingisepp municipalityKarl Marx pr., 2a188480 KingiseppLeningrad regionRussiaTel: +7 81375 22 373Fax:+7 81375 23 239